StatCounter

Monday, October 4, 2010

It couldn’t be ‘elped (An almost true story from before I lost my religion)


It couldn’t be ‘elped
(An almost true story)

(In Manchester England there are 2 major teams- the Mighty United, and the Heathen Manchester City. Read this piece is in an approximation of a Mancunian accent, ie the housekeeper from Frasier.)

It couldn’t be ‘elped, yeah?

I mean it ‘ad been real,
& more than magic
but she moved, right?

It couldn’t be ‘elped. Yeah?

And she pick me up
On Christmas Day
For a Graveyard Walk,
Too right, like.

And it ‘ad all changed
With ‘er all distracted
& distant, like.

& Still out of reflex
I wanted to grab on to ‘er
Wrap round ‘er
Never let go of ‘er;
The greater the treasure
The greater the greed,
Like.

& I thought about ‘ow it started, like;

She picked me, yeah?
She
Picked
Me.

I’d come to accept that a
Limping, unemployed, alcoholic with Tourette Syndrome
Is not considered a prize by most women, yeah?

But this young woman
‘oo turned all the ‘eads,
‘oo could ‘ave anyone she wanted,
The most beautiful, magical, talented
Creature I ever ‘ad me ‘ands on
Picked
Me.

So it couldn’t be ‘elped, yeah?

Like I’s sayin’
It wa’ Christmas, like.

& I looked at ‘er
& somethin’ about ‘er said over, like.

And I  tried to understand it
But I was at a loss, like.
So I just looked down
At me scarf
In the colors of the Mighty Man United.

Then I knew, right?

I looked at ‘er
And she wa’ dressed in the colors of Manchester City, like.

Me feelin’s just bloody well died, right?

It couldn’t be ‘elped, yeah?


Chris Walters, Aught Five


No comments:

Post a Comment