StatCounter

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

An Illustration of the Privilege



An Illustration of the Privilege

The day, grey
And wet,
I, in oilskin, hood,
ball cap, backpack
all black,
waited
for a walk signal.

A family, some friends,
And an old woman waited as well,
all of us
white.

Polite nods from all
but old white woman,
who strained out a smile
with slightly widened eyes.

I realized how closely
My attire resembled
A wanted poster
for the then recent
Boston Bombings.

I forgave her reaction.

Then a man arrived,
30ish, fit,
Clean casual clothes,
A young professional
Off work,
Out to relax.

Old woman turned to greet him
But gave the same face as to me,
And also gripped purse tight
And moved it in front of herself
While turning away.

He noticed.

“Oh sure, a black man arrives and it’s ‘hide the valuables!’ What the hell!?” 
He stormed off in anger, no longer waiting for the light’s permission.

Chris Walters
2016

No comments:

Post a Comment