StatCounter

Thursday, August 21, 2014

1st Piece Written For, and Performed at Beat Night 8-21-14 (Those Kids)



Those Kids

Those Kids
who,
when waiting
for the school bus
just past dawn,
and having no thought
for those of us still sleeping
in the rest of the complex,
were loud.

As one of their grandmothers put it
“Talking like everything they say
is the most important thing anyone ever said.”

The boys would brag about stupid things
they’d done,
and the girls would call the boys out
telling them
they were liars
or stupid.

Because Those Kids
were kids, and kids do that.

My ex taught art in the complex
and Those Kids loved her classes,
and her,
and called her Miss Heather,
which made her feel weird.

Neo Nazis, both kids
and parents,
threatened to attack
Those Kids
after school one appointed day,
in the name of
white pride.

Those kids mostly stayed home that day.
The attack never came.

But I saw,
one day soon after,
on the dirt road behind the complex,
a young white guy,
sitting in an old car,
Diligently and nervously
at work on something in his lap.

And the next day I found
a pipebomb that had failed to go off.

I called the police.

The officer who arrived
confirmed pipebomb,
and said to me
with a knowing tilt of the head
(that I’d begun to take to mean ‘between us whites’)
“Those Kids probably did it.”

I tried to say something to the effect that,
had any of those kids done it,
we’d have heard about it
from them
while they waited for the bus.

I mentioned the white guy in the old car.

“Nah. It was those kids.”

It reminded me of the night
We were robbed
while out at the doctor,

Returning to find
the security chain on the door,
a window open,
and my guitar gone.

The detectives got the facts,
and one said with a conspiratorial
tone
“It was one of Those Kids.”

I wanted to know which one he thought it was,
because,
when Those Kids heard Miss Heather had been robbed,
They all showed up,
surrounded our apartment,
a couple of boys with baseball bats,
Just in case the thief was still inside.

So I wanted to know
who
in particular
the detective
suspected.

He could only repeat
“It was one of Those Kids.”

Weeks later
the thief was caught, in another town,
by another Police Department.
I saw pictures of him.
Though
redfaced,
he was white as me.

The detective returned my guitar,
saying nothing else
about
Those Kids.

Chris Walters,
August 7, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment