StatCounter

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chess



I was 9
When my mother
Taught me
Chess;

Her disguise was still intact then,
The mask of a rational woman,
With a job,
And justified anger;

She’d smoke,
And exhale memories
Of being
The Barmaid Who
Could Beat Anyone,

And tell me to think
Moves ahead;

I tried, but
My sense of the future was seconds,
Tiny increments of feeling
Safe from others’ sickness,
Hers most of all;

It was her game,
And in learning it I thought I could
Follow the eel-twists of her mind,
Predict the explosions and melt-downs,
Learn how she put on the disguise;

But, as a boy,
I couldn’t become good at the game,
And the frustration enraged me;

She tried to throw a game once,
And I told her to stop it,
That I actually had to beat her
Or it wouldn’t feel like victory;

She was happily merciless after that,
Beating me time and again on the board.

When I was 17 her mask became
too heavy
to wear;
No longer playing chess,
She spent her time drinking,
Weeping,
Threatening,
Blaming,
And hating men.

I escaped into girls, and drugs,
Putting on a mask of stability and wisdom
That I, at least, was fooled by,
And left her to her shrieking;

When I was 21
My mask became too heavy
And I dropped it;
Seeing in the mirror
The reflection of terror long
Ignored
I slipped into depression,
A chaos of self-hatred
And disorganized, irrational thoughts;

Some days my only solace
Was that I could end myself if I felt worse;

I started playing chess again,
Fervently using it to force order
Onto my mind,
Teaching myself to think instead of feel;

And I surprised myself by becoming good,
finally understanding the game,
thinking ahead, and planning;

I went to see her,
And challenged her to a game;

There was no disguise left for her then,
No clothes, only bathrobes, and cat-piss stench,
the house a maze of baubles,
1,000s of buttons arranged by color
On every horizontal surface that she termed
“A Map of My Mind”;

She accepted with a meek shrug,
And played ineptly,
Looking at the pieces in a way that said
She remembered remembering 
how they worked together,
But couldn’t make them do now;
And, more resigned with every move,
She finally admitted defeat;
I had won, but it didn’t feel like victory.


Chris Walters
February 20, 2014

1 comment:

  1. I love you, my brother not by blood. Even sick in the head, you were able to help others. Right or wrong, I know not. You have come a long way in short time, considering how long we've been around. I just don't have the right words... Know you're loved, if I can ever help, I'm here.

    ReplyDelete